Islamic Critical Thinking, Worldview & Ethics and Fiqh
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The nature of intellectual reasoning in the Qur’an

+23
Muiden_Ridwan
Abdulmojeed ilyas olayink
Oseni Ridwanullah olaniyi
Ganiyu Habeeb
Alha 08
ABDULLAHI_BASHIRU
Ajaobashir27
Abdulmajeed_Aminah
Rafiu Abdul Quadri olamid
Qoreeb Akende muftaudeen
Ganiu Jamiu Atanda
Abdulrasheedahmodaremu
Ibrahim_Tohir
Imam abdulfatahi
Olowookere _ Baliqees
Abdulrasheed_Abdulquadri
Mohammed jamiu
Yahya Mubarak Kayode
Kewulere Mahmud
IBRAHEEM ABDULGANEEY
Jamiu Ibrahim Tanmola
Horler001
Admin
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The nature of intellectual reasoning in the Qur’an Empty The nature of intellectual reasoning in the Qur’an

Post  Admin Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:57 pm

How does the Qur’an guide humans in their quest for truth on fundamental issues in life and existence?: 1) Does it invite one to use intellectual reasoning in order to discover the truth outside the Qur’an itself; or 2) it asserts that it has brought the truth and thus there is no need to use intellectual reasoning that may lead one astray?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://abdulkabir.com

Back to top Go down

The nature of intellectual reasoning in the Qur’an Empty Re: The nature of intellectual reasoning in the Qur’an

Post  Horler001 Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:26 am

To my own little understanding. Me:~ I choose :- our prophet has brought us the truth from our lord, so we won’t have to think something else to the extend of going astray
Because that’s what Qur’an are for. And that’s why Allah (swt) send his messengers to guild us…

In Q:10.94 “But if you are in doubt as to what We have revealed to you, ask those who read the Book before you; certainly the truth has come to you from your Lord, therefore you should not be of the disputers.”

Allah (SWT)reveal the verse to let us know that we don’t have to think of going astray, he Allah has let us know ( certainly the truth has come to you from your lord,)

*That will be my own view*

Horler001

Jamiu Ibrahim Tanmola likes this post

Back to top Go down

The nature of intellectual reasoning in the Qur’an Empty Re: The nature of intellectual reasoning in the Qur’an

Post  Jamiu Ibrahim Tanmola Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:18 pm

1st Question:
Does the Quran invite us to think and use our intellectual reasoning to think?
Answer: Almighty Allah has given Muslims the opportunity to think about everything he created and use their intellectual reasoning to Gain more knowledge, there are certain verses in the Quran where Almighty Acknowledged the philosophers and the fuqaha which shows that Thinking and reasoning to acquire knowledge or seek the truth is accepted in islam

Reference 1.
Q59:21
﴿لَو أَنزَلنا هذَا القُرآنَ عَلى جَبَلٍ لَرَأَيتَهُ خاشِعًا مُتَصَدِّعًا مِن خَشيَةِ اللَّهِ وَتِلكَ الأَمثالُ نَضرِبُها لِلنّاسِ لَعَلَّهُم يَتَفَكَّرونَ﴾ [Al-Ḥashr: 21]
(21) If We had sent down this Qur’ān upon a mountain, you would have seen it humbled and splitting from fear of Allāh. And these examples We present to the people that perhaps they will give thought.

Reference 2.
Q3:191

﴿الَّذينَ يَذكُرونَ اللَّهَ قِيامًا وَقُعودًا وَعَلى جُنوبِهِم وَيَتَفَكَّرونَ في خَلقِ السَّماواتِ وَالأَرضِ رَبَّنا ما خَلَقتَ هذا باطِلًا سُبحانَكَ فَقِنا عَذابَ النّارِ﴾ [Āli ‘Imrān: 191]
(191) Who remember Allāh while standing or sitting or [lying] on their sides and give thought to the creation of the heavens and the earth, [saying], "Our Lord, You did not create this aimlessly; exalted are You [above such a thing]; then protect us from the punishment of the Fire.

Reference 3.
Q13:3

﴿وَهُوَ الَّذي مَدَّ الأَرضَ وَجَعَلَ فيها رَواسِيَ وَأَنهارًا وَمِن كُلِّ الثَّمَراتِ جَعَلَ فيها زَوجَينِ اثنَينِ يُغشِي اللَّيلَ النَّهارَ إِنَّ في ذلِكَ لَآياتٍ لِقَومٍ يَتَفَكَّرونَ﴾ [Ar-Ra‘d: 3]
(3) And it is He who spread the earth and placed therein firmly set mountains and rivers; and from all of the fruits He made therein two mates; He causes the night to cover the day. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.

*Allah has referred to the philosophers and the wise ones as hulul_Albal in Q1:269 which means Almighty Allah Want us to think and he appreciates and acknowledges those with intellectual reasoning

Reference.

﴿يُؤتِي الحِكمَةَ مَن يَشاءُ وَمَن يُؤتَ الحِكمَةَ فَقَد أوتِيَ خَيرًا كَثيرًا وَما يَذَّكَّرُ إِلّا أُولُو الأَلبابِ﴾ [Al-Baqarah: 269]
(269) He gives wisdom[108] to whom He wills, and whoever has been given wisdom has certainly been given much good. And none will remember except those of understanding.
[108]- The knowledge and understanding of the religion and of the Qur’ān.

Jamiu Ibrahim Tanmola

Jamiu Ibrahim Tanmola likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  IBRAHEEM ABDULGANEEY Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:39 pm

I give total support to first option which is( *Does the Quran invite us to think and use our intellectual reasoning to think)*
the Answer is YES

* Let firstly look into Q:3 verse:7
هو الذي أنزل عليك الكتاب منه ءايات محكمات هن أم الكتاب واخر متشابهات
It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific.

*This first Verse had show us that there are part of Quran verses which can not be well understood with out intellectual reasoning

Secondly Q:47 Verse 24 Says
اَفَلَا یَتَدَبَّرُوۡنَ الۡقُرۡاٰنَ اَمۡ عَلٰی قُلُوۡبٍ اَقۡفَالُہَا ﴿۲۴﴾

Then do they not reflect (ponder) upon the Qur'an, or are there locks upon [their] hearts?

In conclusion these verses proves to us that Quran does not prevent or chain us from using our intellectual reasoning to think.

IBRAHEEM ABDULGANEEY

Back to top Go down

Post  Kewulere Mahmud Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:56 pm

Asalam Aleykum Warahmotullahi wabarakaaatu
I’ll go for no 2
*The prophet has brought you the truth from your lord,why do you have to think and go astray*.
My reason for that is because …
As Almighty Allah has told us that anything the prophet brings to us is the truth Q 53:4 An-Najm 53:4
إِنۡ هُوَ إِلَّا وَحۡىٌ يُوحَى so there no need in questioning and thinking too much about what the prophet brought for us.

In Addition suratul nisa’ Q 4:170 An-Nisa' 4:170
يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ قَدۡ جَآءَكُمُ ٱلرَّسُولُ بِٱلۡحَقِّ مِن رَّبِّكُمۡ فَـَٔامِنُواْ خَيۡرًا لَّكُمْۚ وَإِن تَكۡفُرُواْ فَإِنَّ لِلَّهِ مَا فِى ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلۡأَرۡضِۚ وَكَانَ ٱللَّهُ عَلِيمًا حَكِيمًا

With all due respect 🫡 sir I think this should support the question in no2

Kewulere Mahmud

Back to top Go down

Post  Yahya Mubarak Kayode Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:59 pm

الحمد لله القائل وما أوتيتم من العلم الا قليلًا ، والصلاة والسلام على محمد وعلى أهله وأصحابه وسلم
Regarding the assignment, in my own view Allah (SWT) gave brain 🧠 to us to be able to think on our own, but this is totally wrong in the field of Islam because using brain in the field of Islam may lead us astray. For the shaiton (satan) could mislead us during this period. The reference that satan may mislead was reported from prophet Muhammad SAW when he says
يأتي الشيطان أحدكم فيقول من خلق كذا؟ من خلق كذا؟ حتي يقول من خلق ربك؟ فإذا بلغه فليستعذْ بالله ولينتهي!
Meaning: the devil will come to one of you, and says: who created this? Who created that? Until he says: who created your lord? If he reaches this poin, the person should seek refuge in God and stop thinking.
 This Hadith enlighten us that over thinking might bring you near to the shaiton and he will surely mislead you if you don’t withdrew from thinking that moment.
 Allah also quoted in the Quran 10 vs 94
فَإِن كُنتَ فِي شَكٍّ مِّمَّا أَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ فَاسْأَلِ الَّذِينَ يَقْرَءُونَ الْكِتَابَ مِن قَبْلِكَ ۚ لَقَدْ جَاءَكَ الْحَقُّ مِن رَّبِّكَ فَلَا تَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْمُمْتَرِينَ
Verily the Truth from thy Lord hath come unto thee. So be not thou of the waverers. If thou wert in doubt as to what We have revealed unto thee, then ask those who have been reading the Book from before thee: the Truth hath indeed come to thee from thy Lord: so be in no wise of those in doubt.
  Allah (SWT)reveal in the verse to let us know that no room for ruling by opinion in Islam, Quran has bring nothing to us but the truth, if we don’t understand we should ask any people that are more knowledgeable than us
 In an addendum, why should we be reasoning intellectually when the prophet has brought us the truth from Allah and he has even publicly warn us from such, where he started:
إياكم وظن فإن الظن أكذب الحديث
Meaning: Beware of too much thinking, for that is the worst of false tales!
As we all know that سيدنا علي was one the most knowledgeable among the prophet companions. He also said!
لو كان الدين بالرأي لكان أسفل الخف أولى بالمسح من أعلاه …
Meaning: if religion had been by opinion, the bottom of the shoe would have been the first to wipe from above…
For this and that we will all understand that the religion ruling are not proven by opinions.
There was a poem from the Arab poem that says it all

قلْ للحكيم الفيلسوف المنطق # علم حرام درسه لا تنتق
احفظْ لسانك عن مناهج درسه # إن البلاء مؤكل بالمنطق

والله أعلم!!!
✍: مبارك بن يحيى
✍: Yahya Mubarak

Yahya Mubarak Kayode

Back to top Go down

Post  Mohammed jamiu Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:49 pm

YES!! In my own point and بعث on it sir 🫡, it has been mentioned in the only Qur’an word of ALLAH and in Hadith of Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W)👇👇👇

Firstly; Has they said in Hadith-kudisi says:  فعرفونى قبل أن تعبدونى ومن لم يعرفونى فكيف يعبدوني 
         For literally meaning which says believe in me or know about me and also think 💭 of me before worshiping me,
        Cus if you don’t think 💭 of me or know me how will u worship me?… 
    The Qur’an teaches an essential doctrine of the AYAH>
(God’s signs in the universe) which consists mainly of pointers to the providential purpose at all levels of creation. Thus it makes frequent references as”لا آيتين لقومن يتفكرون"  (signs for a people who understand God’s messages in the Qur’an and who exercise their intellect. This evidential role of the Divine signs entails an accompanying demand placed upon humans to engage in a rational understanding of the AYAH>and draw conclusions on the discovery of truth and correct guidance.
Sign reading is about decoding and unraveling of hints and hid- den references in textual layouts and other cultural patchworks. It involves subjective interpretation and is ultimately a so-called ‘process of semiosis’ or meaning-making. What it tells us is that deeper meaning behind the apparent surface of reality is not only possible but rather necessary. Thus, the function of sign reading, or semiotics (also semiology), is to make us aware of our environment. It’s about making us see beyond what it appears to be, and to look beyond the surface.👌
Still on it 🫡 
The Islamic notion of عقل (intellect) embraces the faith dimen- sion of knowledge that is also informed by ethical values. The prevailing reading of the Qur’an on rationality, which I present in the following pages, consists of a coalition of faith and reason which is also cognisant of the metaphysical aspect of reality and the limits therefore of human reason. Twentieth century Islamic discourse has shown awareness of that difference as it began to comprehend the subtleties inherent in the Western lexicon on rationality and its cultural overtones.
Approximately 750 verses, or nearly one-eighth of the Qur’an, exhort the readers to study nature, history, the Qur’an itself, and humanity at large. The text employs a range of expressions in its appeal to those who listen (يسمعون), those who think (يتفكرون), those who reflect (يتدبرون), those who observe (ينزرون), those who exercise their intellect (يعقلون), those who take heed and remember (يتذاكرون), those who ask questions (يسعلون), those who develop an insight (يتفقهون), and those who know (يعلمون).These and their derivatives (mostly occur- ring in the active verbal form) consist essentially of open invocations and encouragement to thinking that is not limited by a methodology or framework. “أفلا يتدبرونal-Qur’an (Will they not, then, ponder (تدبر) over this Qur’an?)” Tadabbur means concentrated and goal-oriented thinking provoked by the challenge to find something new or to solve a difficult problem.
To quote Netton (1989) on semiotics of nature, the Qur’an “may be described as a semiotician’s paradise par excellence” “And how many Signs in the heavens and the earth do they pass by? Yet they turn (their faces) away from them!(يوسف,12:105). “And of His signs is your sleep by night and day and your seeking of His bounty. Indeed in that are signs for a people who listen” (Al-Rum, 30:23)….
<وَمِنْ اٰيٰتِهٖ يُرِيْكُمُ الْبَرْقَ خَوْفًا وَّطَمَعًا وَّيُنَزِّلُ مِنَ السَّمَاۤءِ مَاۤءً فَيُحْيٖ بِهِ الْاَرْضَ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهَاۗ اِنَّ فِيْ ذٰلِكَ لَاٰيٰتٍ لِّقَوْمٍ يَّعْقِلُوْنَ> 
“And the things on this earth which He has multiplied in varying colours (and qualities): verily in this is a sign for men who think 💭 and understand the word of Allah….    
So let’s look on this again…….👇
 Let’s Defines thought (الفقر) as the power of the mind that facilitates access to knowledge (علم). Thinking (التفكر) is the movement of that power which is driven by the intellect (العقل), and this can only occur when an initial image of the subject is attainable in the mind of the thinker. Thinking cannot therefore proceed over something of which no image exists in the mind. This can be said of the self of God, for example, as man has no image on which to focus his thought. Man can only think over the attributes of Allah through the observation of His signs. Broadly speaking, thinking proceeds over the whole of the created universe without any exception; indeed, the Qur’an repeatedly invites such in respect to both the physical and abstract aspects of reality, both in the present and in regards to bygone history that is only perceived by the intellect rather than sense perception. Often the Qur’an gives examples, parables, and narratives of other nations, and then follows them with the reminder, usually addressed to the Prophet to recount the narratives of the past so that the people may think and reflect over them.
A hierarchy of five perceptive-cognitive functions is also suggested, including and extending through سمع(hearing), بصر (sight), فكر (thinking), ذكر(remembrance), and يقين (certainly).Given such a scale of intensified perceptive understanding, the Qur’an propounds the notion ofاولول الباب the thoughtful individuals who are possessed of proper understanding and response. عقل is thus tied to the cognitive dimension of faith. Significantly, the very term for reason and intelligence in Arabic, العقل, has at the core of its basic meaning the practical idea of “restraining” and “binding,” that is, of holding one’s self back from blameworthy conduct being an interior selfimposed limit. Qur’an commentators understand thinking (تفكر تفكير 💭) as pondering and reflection, which is a mental activity and process, not an outcome.
Tafakkur 🧠 is considered as a form of إبادة (worship of God) if it is done with sincerity and good purpose. عقل in its Qur’anic concep- tion is also one that conceives the truth, and it is always in search of it. This conception of عقل precludes one that is rigid, arrogant, and misleading. Some have also drawn the conclusion from the ubiqui- tous Qur’anic emphasis on thinking that all Muslims must strive to be thinking individual
        Al-Qaradawi has quoted Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah’s (d. 751/ 1350) views in support of his own observation to the effect that “thinking for an hour is better than worship of many years,” and another statement that “thinking for an hour is superior to a whole night of prayer.
            Another feature of the Qur’anic vision of thinking is indicated in its emphasis on wisdom and good judgment (الحكمة) which signifies the quality of thinking, its regard for values, and its out- come. Wisdom and good judgment can easily be said to be more important than technical know-how and expertise, as it can guide expert knowledge as to its proper application and the attainment of excellence.✨
       So the lesson for this is that””” you think 💭 of Allah for what he has done ✅ in our life.. so be Thankful to him be grateful to him and praise him with any AZKARR you know,,, so may ALLAH accept our IBADAH (Amin 🤲)

Mohammed jamiu

Back to top Go down

Post  Abdulrasheed_Abdulquadri Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:40 pm

As my own understanding,and my own idea,the prophet has brought us the truth from ALLAH so we don’t need to think for us not to go astray and Allah as already told us in the Quran he said ::"يا أيها الذين آمنو اجتنبو كثيرا من الظن إن بعض الظن إثم" in addition and more evidence to this the prophet Muhammad also said:عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه ،أن الرسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم -قال (إياكم والظن ،فإن الظن أكذب الحديث ) متفق عليه with this point of mine I think we don’t need to think about anything because we got the whole truth from Allah (السلام عليكم)

Abdulrasheed_Abdulquadri

Back to top Go down

Post  Olowookere _ Baliqees Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:43 pm

for my own point of view sir I will support the first question that said

( Does the Quran allow us to think and use our intellectual reasoning to think)

yes Quran invite us to think even ALLAH himself ask us to be thinking and this is my own observation

Qur'an said:q 30:8 have they not pondered upon them,Allah created not the earth and that which is between them,save with trust and for a destined end. But truly many mankind are disbelievers in the meeting of their lord.

Allah himself command us to be thinking and imagining about all what he created between all mankind and earth and heaven

prophet Muhammad (saw) also intervene in it

قال رسول الله صل الله عليه وسلم تفكروا في خلق الله ولا تتفكرو في ذات الله

prophet said : think and imagine about all what Allah created but don't ever think about who is ALLAH

I will continue to be supporting that Allah Allowed us to be thinking according to what I read and know in the book of Allah (Qur'an)

Qur'an 3:191 said: الذين يذكرون الله قياما وقعودا و على جنودهم و يتفكرون في خلق السماوات والأرض ربنا ما خلقت هذا باطلا سبحانك فقنا عذاب النار

also in Qur'an 6:50 where Allah said:قل لا أقول لكم عندي خزائن الله ولا أعلم الغيب ولا أقول لكم إني ملك إن أتبع إلا ما يوحي إلي قل هل يستوي الأعمى والبصير أفلا تتفكرون

ALLAH even said in some of his verse
لعلكم تتفكرون
أفلا تتفكرون
لقوم يتفكرون
لعلهم يتفكرون

and the last evidence sir

إنّ في ذلك لآيات لقوم يتفكرون

that is all my evidence and my own point of view to support the first question sir

Olowookere _ Baliqees

Back to top Go down

Post  Imam abdulfatahi Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:46 pm

My thought on this is that:
All mighty Allah the most High, invites and wants us to think so we can derives and discover the truth,
That's why he (Allah) mention it repeatedly in the glorious Qur'an
"لكم الآيات لعلكم تتفكرون" 219سورة البقرة
All these are signs for you to think,
"لعلكم تعقلون،"
لعلكم تتفكرون،"
لأولي الألباب، "
وفي أنفسكم أفلا تبصرون "
All these verses are calling us to think

Imam abdulfatahi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ibrahim_Tohir Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:59 pm

In my own idea, using our intellectual reasoning to think is a very advicable program. When we look back to jahiliya (Ignorance) period when they don't contribute their intellectual reasoning to think and they kept straying there are some verses in the Quran that talk about this: "Nay they say: we found our fathers following a certain religion and we do guide Our shelves by there foot steps; (Qur'an 43:22). "They said, 'we found our fathers worshiping them. If They Had used their intellectual reasoning to think about who Allah his They may not be astrayed... Prophet Ibrahim (PBUH) according to me uses his own intellectual reasoning to think about God. Allah SWT Said :فلما جن عليه اليل رأى كوكبا قال هذا ربي فلما أفل قال لا أحب الآفلين.. And he kept thinking about who the god his until Allah Shows him the way .....

This Is my own view on this.

Ibrahim_Tohir

Back to top Go down

Post  Abdulrasheedahmodaremu Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:21 pm

in my own view
2nd Questions: The prophet has brought you the truth from your lord, why do you have to think and go astray

First point
الْيَوْمَ أَكْمَلْتُ لَكُمْ دِينَكُمْ وَأَتْمَمْتُ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعْمَتِي وَرَضِيتُ لَكُمُ الْإِسْلَامَ دِينًا.. )
Second point
هـذه قاعدة الفقهية
(لا مساغ للاجتهـاد في مورد النص )
Meaning % where there is a text which is from allah him selfs there is no room for interpretation
On the other side of my own view is that I support in the first question in one condition
1.we can only think in one condition if the word use in the Quran verse is used for general we can think just to know the point

Abdulrasheedahmodaremu

Abdulrasheedahmodaremu likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ganiu Jamiu Atanda Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:22 pm

Yes. the Quran encourages mankind to use their intellectual reasoning.. the Quran has spoken about thinkings… Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day are signs for those of understanding; Those who remember Allah while standing or sitting or [lying] on their sides and give thought to the creation of the heavens and the earth, [saying], “Our Lord, You did not create this without purpose …” (Quran Al-i-Imran 3:190-191)
Numerous Verses in the Quran emphasis wisdom (Ikmah)
Someone may tell you to believe and not to think or question. Allah tells us that we must think and ask questions, and only then will we believe. It's no wonder that the Quran
keeps emphasizing,
"Don’t you think?"  أفلا تعقلون

So with due respect 🫡 that’s my own point of view

Ganiu Jamiu Atanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Qoreeb Akende muftaudeen Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:06 pm

The Quran encourages thinking and pondering. Sometimes in the form of a request:

Say, “I only advise you of one thing – that you stand for Allah, in pairs and individually, and then give thought.” (Quran as-Saba 36:46)

Qoreeb Akende muftaudeen

Back to top Go down

The nature of intellectual reasoning in the Qur’an Empty Does the Quran invite us to think and use our intellectual reasoning to think

Post  Rafiu Abdul Quadri olamid Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:11 am

Yes Quran invite us to use our intellectual reasoning to think
Allah says that we have made Quran unambiguous and absolutely clear showing the truth therefore humans can understand it by using their intellect;so that they can reason and logic to understand it

Rafiu Abdul Quadri olamid

Back to top Go down

Post  Abdulmajeed_Aminah Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:26 am

Answer to Question 1:
Absolutely! The Quran encourages us to think and use our intellectual reasoning. It emphasizes the importance of reflection, contemplation, and seeking knowledge. It invites us to ponder over the signs of creation and to use our intellect to understand and appreciate the world around us. It encourages critical thinking and the pursuit of knowledge.
In fact, there are several verses that highlight this invitation. One such verse is from Surah Al-Baqarah (2:164), which says, "Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day are signs for those of understanding." This verse urges us to reflect upon the signs of creation and use our intellect to comprehend the wisdom behind them. Another verse, from Surah Al-Ankabut (29:20), says, "Say, 'Travel through the earth and observe how He began creation. Then Allah will produce the final creation.'" This verse encourages us to explore the world around us and use our intellectual reasoning to recognize the power and wisdom of Allah in His creation. These are just a few examples of how the Quran invites us to think and reflect.

Abdulmajeed_Aminah

Back to top Go down

Post  Ajaobashir27 Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:47 pm

I would like to support the motion which says does the Holy Quran invite us to think and use our intellectual reasoning to think.
  Absolutely yes because,  as far as i know Quran is the only religious book which encourages you to think and there are several verses in the quran in which Allah (SWT) order readers to think and use our intellectual reasoning to think and analyze the things around us because there are many verse in the Quran  i should mention some.of them:
قال الله تعالى: "قل انظروا ماذا في السموات والأرض وما تغنى الأيت والنذر عن قوم لا يؤمنون" سورة يونس: ١٠١
"Say, “Observe what is in the heavens and earth.” But of no avail will be signs or warners to a people who do not believe" (10:101)
قال الله تعالى أيضا: "ومن ثمرت النخيل والأغنب تتخذون منه شكرا ورزقا حسنا إن في ذلك لأية لقوم يعقلون" سورة النحل: ٦٧
“And from the fruits of the palm trees and grapevines you take intoxicant and good provision.I Indeed in that is a sign for a people who reason”. (16:67)
Asalamalaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu

Ajaobashir27

Back to top Go down

Post  ABDULLAHI_BASHIRU Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 am

I would like to support the motion which says: The prophet has brought you the truth from your lord, why do you have to think and go astray.

Allah said in the holy Quran:And we have certainly revealed to you verses(which are) clear proofs, and no one would deny them except the defiantly disobedient

And prophet Muhammad (SAW) said:
I have left amongst you two matters, you will never go astray as long as you hold onto them, the Book of Allah and my Sunnah.

ABDULLAHI_BASHIRU

Back to top Go down

Post  Alha 08 Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:03 pm

**Does the Quran invite us to think and use our intellectual reasoning to think?*

Yes. The Quran invites us to think and use our intellectual reasoning to think because Allah even said by himself in the Quran 88 (Suratul Goshiyah) verses 17 - 20,

أفلا ينظرون إلى الإبل كيف خلقت. وإلى السماء كيف رفعت. وإلى الجبال كيف نصبت. وإلى الارض كيف سطحت.

Will they not then consider the camels how they are created, and the heavens, how it was raised high, and the mountains, how they were fixed. And the earth, how it was spread.

So all these verses testify to it that we can think with our intellectual reasoning but not be thinking about who's Allah.

And there are some words in the Quran where Allah subhãnallah watahallah says:

- أفلا ينظرون
- أفلا تعقلون
- أفلا تفكرون
- أفلا يتدبرون

So with all these words, it means that Allah by himself wants us to think with our intellectual reasoning.

And prophet Muhammad S.A.W said: تفكروا في خلق الله ولا تفكروا في ذاته فتهلكو

So in this Hadith, Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W ) encourages us to think about all Allah creates for us to know the wonderful of Allah but we should not think to the extent of who's Allah for us to not be destroyed.

By: *Badmos* *Muhammedjamiu**

Alha 08

Back to top Go down

Post  Ganiyu Habeeb Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:39 pm

Bismillahi Rahmoni Rohim
Yeah, To start with, out of the two questions, the first one goes this way. according Almighty Allah, he says, think deeply, think more on what I (Allah) created not how I created myself so as not to lead yourselves astray.

There is a Tefsir I read on how Allah used 7days to create heaven and earth, then, I saw where the cleric highlighted where Allah said he forsake (curse) those who read this Aya Nd didn’t have any thought about it.

Note; God even said it numerous place in Quran where he said why are we reading the holy book and still don’t have a sense of reason?

To summarise this all, let’s all have a sense of reasoning nd think deeply on what God created not how he created himself.

Ganiyu Habeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Oseni Ridwanullah olaniyi Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:50 pm

I will like to choose the 2nd questions
I’m backing this with what prophet Muhammad said تفكرو فى خلق الله ولا تفكرو فى ذات الله فتهلكو
Think in the creation of earth and mankind but dnt think I’m the existence of allah for u not to destroy

Oseni Ridwanullah olaniyi

Oseni Ridwanullah olaniyi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Abdulmojeed ilyas olayink Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:50 am

yes absolutely as far as i know Quran is the only religious book which encourages you to think and there are several verses in the quran in which Allah (SWT) order readers to think and analyze the things around us because there are many i should mention some.of them:

1- Say, “Observe what is in the heavens and earth.” But of no avail will be signs or warners to a people who do not believe (10:101)

2- Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth; the alternation of the day and the night; the ships that sail the sea for the benefit of humanity; the rain sent down by Allah from the skies, reviving the earth after its death; the scattering of all kinds of creatures throughout; the shifting of the winds; and the clouds drifting between the heavens and the earth—˹in all of this˺ are surely signs for people of understanding. (02:164)

3- And from the fruits of the palm trees and grapevines you take intoxicant and good provision.1 Indeed in that is a sign for a people who reason. (16:67)

4- And [in] the alternation of night and day and [in] what Allah sends down from the sky of provision and gives life thereby to the earth after its lifelessness and [in His] directing of the winds are signs for a people who reason. (45:05)

Musa_Basiru and Abdulmojeed ilyas olayink like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Abdulmojeed ilyas olayink Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:53 am

I choose the first question

Back to top Go down

Post  Muiden_Ridwan Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:23 am

Allah said in the Moran and we have certainly revealed to you ceases which are clear profs and no one would dear them except the defiantly disobedient....and prophet Muhammad ,,(S.a.w)said I have left accept you two rester you will Havel go long as you hold

Muiden_Ridwan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dhunurayn Aminat Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:33 pm

Assalamuhalaykum warahmotullahi wabarakatuhu

A good Muslim is the one who when he hears about an Islamic injunction follows it without questioning how and why, rather follows it as he heard or read it! Allah says (interpretation):

Those who listen to the speech and follow the best of it. Those are the ones Allah has guided, and those are people of understanding. (Q39:18)

It went further that earlier scholars detest questioning why an Islamic injunction derived from the Quran is made so, this is so because Allah is our creator and knows what's the best for us and our human intelligence cannot be overstressed to comprehend some of these things! Where Allah has given order, ours is to say, "We hear and We follow and we have ni choice rather than the decree of Allah"! Allah says:

It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error. (Q33:36)

However, Islam has granted us concession to also use our intellect over certain matters although, this is specifically for the trained ones (Jurists) and not anyone else on matters where there is no specific ruling on it (through Qiyas) but where there is, no scholar either past or presence is granted such concession!

Dhunurayn Aminat

Yakub Basheer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next