Islamic Critical Thinking, Worldview & Ethics and Fiqh
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why do people become MATERIALISTIC???

+25
2030_17_hazrin_adzha
2030_17_aisha.tahir
2030_17_ahmadali
2030_18_azuar asmah
2030_18_faridah
2030_17_hadi
2030_17_maythu
2_AOUIDAD
2030_17_dieny
2030_17_Ali
2_Messaoud
2030_17_hanani.zaid
2030_17_sitiaishahaslah
2030_17_Sufyan
2030_17_hasif
2030_17_Sajed
2030_17_hasmida
2030_17_Hasan
2030_17_syazwani^ahmad
2030_17_amalina
2030_17_nurhanani
2030_18_Abdulrahman
2030_17_nabil
2030_17_huda
2030_17_amiza
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

why do people become MATERIALISTIC??? Empty why do people become MATERIALISTIC???

Post  2030_17_amiza Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:42 pm

why are people so mateterialistic these days??
is it a good thing or bad thing?
comment2.... Very Happy Question
2030_17_amiza
2030_17_amiza

Back to top Go down

why do people become MATERIALISTIC??? Empty Re: why do people become MATERIALISTIC???

Post  2030_17_huda Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:59 pm

salam..
in my opinion ,it is a bad things when we are too materialistic..
besides, materialism is just only a temporary pleasure giving..

2030_17_huda

Back to top Go down

why do people become MATERIALISTIC??? Empty Re: why do people become MATERIALISTIC???

Post  2030_17_nabil Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:04 pm

they become materialistic because by money you can do whatever you want. i dont think its bad thing or good its depend in they way you spend it Very Happy

2030_17_nabil

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_18_Abdulrahman Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:38 pm

salam, i totally agree with nabil's opinion as he said it depends on the person him/her self how they spend their money

2030_18_Abdulrahman

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_nurhanani Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:41 am

2030_17_amiza wrote:why are people so mateterialistic these days??
is it a good thing or bad thing?
comment2.... Very Happy Question

i think some people become materialistic (one of the factors) because of the surrounding itself. they used to live in a wealthy family since childhood and anything they want will be fulfilled. they used to have lunch and dinner at high class places or wear branded clothes and this will indirectly encourage such people to develop materialistic attributes in themselves. but being materialistic is not a bad thing if you could afford it. however it is not in this world where we are going to live forever. we have another world we'll go and preparation has to be made. so, don't think too much about materialistic things Like a Star @ heaven
2030_17_nurhanani
2030_17_nurhanani

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_nabil Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:25 am

2030_17_nurhanani wrote:
they used to live in a wealthy family since childhood and anything they want will be fulfilled. they used to have lunch and dinner at high class places or wear branded clothes and this will indirectly encourage such people to develop materialistic attributes in themselves

do u think it change people to be materialistic? i dont think so, cause why not if i can do that?if i have money to buy food that i like or clothes i want i dont think thats gonna make me materialistic this also may help many people to get a job because if you dont buy from high brands this company may close and then their workers may nt find a job its also bad for them and so you just kept money in the bank. so the problem nt in whom spend to live in high class its on the one who keeps the money for nothing.

2030_17_nabil

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_nurhanani Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:22 am

2030_17_nabil wrote:
2030_17_nurhanani wrote:
they used to live in a wealthy family since childhood and anything they want will be fulfilled. they used to have lunch and dinner at high class places or wear branded clothes and this will indirectly encourage such people to develop materialistic attributes in themselves

do u think it change people to be materialistic? i dont think so, cause why not if i can do that?if i have money to buy food that i like or clothes i want i dont think thats gonna make me materialistic this also may help many people to get a job because if you dont buy from high brands this company may close and then their workers may nt find a job its also bad for them and so you just kept money in the bank. so the problem nt in whom spend to live in high class its on the one who keeps the money for nothing.

hoo, i got yr points, but it just my opinion because i see some ppl do that. they bought things sometimes near thousands where actually they can get at lower price. and when they got to buy that high price things, in near future they will tend to spend more. ya it helps other ppl in terms of generating money income but surrounded by the feeling of buy branded and expensive things is sometimes can turn ppl into materialistic.
2030_17_nurhanani
2030_17_nurhanani

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_amalina Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:03 am

students from group 17 really love this materialistic thing huh? What a Face in my opinion,people become materialistic because they thought that money can help them to fulfill their wants.thats all! Very Happy
2030_17_amalina
2030_17_amalina

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_syazwani^ahmad Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:46 am

Today, some people think that money is everything. Everyone is putting their foot into money making schemes. Some of us are eagerly chasing it. Guys outside there..what do u think? Very Happy

2030_17_syazwani^ahmad

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_Hasan Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Why do people become Materialistic...... WHY NOT ???? Laughing
2030_17_Hasan
2030_17_Hasan

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_hasmida Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:26 pm

I personally thinks that all the people are materialistic. It our fitrah or our common sense to be in wealthy state, to have a better life and so on so forth. For example, if we are given a choice whether to choose a kancil car or BMW car, definitely we will choose BMW over kancil because it is more comfortable. It is our natural desire that we want luxurious life. Who in the whole world wants to be poverty state? So , it is not wrong to be materialistic as long as we have our iman to control our materialistic attitude.
2030_17_hasmida
2030_17_hasmida

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_Sajed Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:39 am

Students are making their own threads now? What is this I don't even

2030_17_Hasan wrote:Why do people become Materialistic...... WHY NOT ???? Laughing
why do people become MATERIALISTIC??? Gee_wiz_emoticon

Anyhow,
"Beautified for men is the love of things they covet; women, children, much of gold and silver (wealth), branded beautiful horses, cattle and well-tilled land. This is the pleasure of the present world's life; but Allah has the excellent return (Paradise) with Him” [3:14] (Oh, hey, that's the π verse!)

It's part of our human nature that makes money so enticing. And as the posters above already pointed out, money gives you access to a lot of other material things in this world, which are also made to appear very appealing to us in this short temporary world. And it's a lot easier for a human heart to be attached to something that is already present and accessible (materialism) than the unseen truth of the Hereafter that you have yet to experience.

On an unrelated note, I distinctly recall the big d00d (Admin) telling me that he wanted to adjust the settings so that only mods and admins can create new threads. So I'm not entirely sure he would approve of this...

2030_17_Sajed

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_hasif Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:13 am

but to0 much 0f m0ney can make us far far away fr0m ALLAH
s0 d0nt be to0 much materialistic,and INSYALLAH we wil be a GREAT muslim!wee~ Cool
"berbelanjalah dengan bijak!" cheers

2030_17_hasif

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_Hasan Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Islam is very different compare to other religions.. A real muslims wont be too materialistic because islam stressed us with a lot of dalil, hadis that can related to materialistic. Allah and His messenger remind us about the world that is not eternity ; the world that only last for a while ; the wealth that wont be account at the Hereafter ; the material that have no value for us in the Here after ; the rezki that only decided by Allah(as long as we seek for it) etc. So a real muslim will concerned more about spiritual rather than materials or possession. thus that make the muslim away from being a materialistic.

As for other religions OR people that are not so religious, perhaps they did not concern much about spiritual ; culture ; or intelectual like the real muslim does., and that makes them materialistic, Even in Economic term - Scarcity = exist because of Human Unlimited wants exceed the resources in this world, and scarcity will never be eliminated because Human always want everything in this world, as we've been told that this world is full of lies and always tricks human being with the materials inside it. So technically almost all human being are materialistic except those who really knows the value of being spiritual rather than materialistic.

For now that is the reason i can think why people become materialistic. and for Allah knows better than all of us, and i know not better than Allah and you guys, so please correct me if im wrong somewhere Thanks.

Sleep
2030_17_Hasan
2030_17_Hasan

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_nurhanani Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:47 am

2030_17_hasmida wrote: I personally thinks that all the people are materialistic. It our fitrah or our common sense to be in wealthy state, to have a better life and so on so forth. For example, if we are given a choice whether to choose a kancil car or BMW car, definitely we will choose BMW over kancil because it is more comfortable. It is our natural desire that we want luxurious life. Who in the whole world wants to be poverty state? So , it is not wrong to be materialistic as long as we have our iman to control our materialistic attitude.

interesting!
2030_17_nurhanani
2030_17_nurhanani

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_Sufyan Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:14 pm

because that is human nature...people have unlimited wants that y, we always think that people is too materialistic.. Very Happy

2030_17_Sufyan

Back to top Go down

why do people become MATERIALISTIC??? Empty ..

Post  2030_17_sitiaishahaslah Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:41 am

i thought materialism is like when someone being really selfish by considering everything is revolved around material in terms of money, valuable stuff, high branded names n such..if what i mean by materialism is right, then materialism is bad even if we want to be materialism then let it in the way of Allah.
we dont live that long in this world. it is just a temporary world n the most important things here we couldnt bring our wealth, reputation, family to the other world that is hereafter to be a part of evaluation when we being judged...
2030_17_sitiaishahaslah
2030_17_sitiaishahaslah

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_Hasan Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 am

Yes.. it is human nature..all human being are materialist.. The only "Orang" that completely dont concern about money, possession, rank, and wealth is "Orang Utan" hahaha. Other than that species, all are materialist, except for the person that aim for the "materials" & wealth in the Hereafter, then that person might ignore the materials in this world.
2030_17_Hasan
2030_17_Hasan

Back to top Go down

why do people become MATERIALISTIC??? Empty sometimes we do not realize that we are materialistic person...

Post  2030_17_hanani.zaid Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:47 pm

in modern society, for me, it is a lie if i say that i'm not the one who love material things,,sometimes,it become our necessities to have gadgets.. but, we need to spend our money wisely..

2030_17_hanani.zaid

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_Sajed Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:09 am

2030_17_Hasan wrote:Yes.. it is human nature..all human being are materialist.. .
That's going a little too far. A tiny fraction of materialism doesn't instantly turn someone into a materialist. I think what you mean to say is that some degree of materialism is instilled into the minds of each and every human being. This certainly does NOT turn them all into materialists.

Anyhow, back to the main topic. To give an example, let's take a look at food. It's true that we cannot survive without eating food but at the same time, we still enjoy eating it too. In fact, we sometimes forget about our nourishment when we eat. It just gives us some pleasure. It's not just with food though. Allah actually made it so that the essential acts that mankind's survival depends on are to be enjoyed. The problem is when we go too far...

So, yeah, this materialism is inside every single human being. However, the question is how we deal with it. The best way to deal with it is to suppress it as much as possible, without even giving it a chance to manifest. This is because a human heart should be attached to none other than Allah and materialism is capable of rising enough to threaten that. On the other hand, there are people that would rather feed it and pamper it so that it grows and develops. As it gets stronger, they are endangering themselves and gambling for their own destruction. Keep in mind that all of this can still happen while the person is trying his best to avoid the haram and is earning his money using halal methods.

2030_17_Sajed

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_Hasan Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:46 am

2030_17_Sajed wrote: " However, the question is how we deal with it."

Sajed.. Kindly read the question is Why people become materialistic, not how we deal with it. hahaha.. Twisted Evil

2030_17_Sajed wrote: I think what you mean to say is that some degree of materialism is instilled into the minds of each and every human being.

I agree with this. Thanks.
2030_17_Hasan
2030_17_Hasan

Back to top Go down

why do people become MATERIALISTIC??? Empty Sign of the truth

Post  2_Messaoud Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 pm

In a nutshell, the reality that shown as hidden agenda to remove from our mind the truth to understand the concept of MATERIALISM, is the definition of the material it self in the Muslim's life, but the question that is asked here, why people become so materialistic ? it supposed to be, how Muslims should look at the materials things and the fact is how Muslims they look right now I mean in this era, to the material world..however, this statement can be seen from two angles
Above all, I've to ask question about, did we get the meaning of how we should look to the Material life ?. as well as the ALLAH's messenger Muhhamed{ peas be upon him } mentioned in some of his AHADITH, He in his life was the best example for us as Muslims and for all the humankind, He told us that is just trash and we've to beware from SATAN who makes it great and he always trying to maximize it to make it as we can't ran away from it, I believe that, people have to bey what they need, food, car, house, studying,,,and cure their illnesses inside their bodies, there's no doubt to say it is one of the principals of ISLAM, life saving, yes it is, so there's no problem with spending and enjoying this life, as well as we working for the next one, however many Muslims unfortunately they didn't understand yet the target of why they're here they just keep following the SATAN's path, this s what we call it [ delusion ], which refers to the SATAN's game..in fact that this name is shared by SATAN and LIFE..and the rules of this game is as follows..(this is the world you should work for, this is the world you should live for, and forget about the hereafter it doesn't matter, because this life is the only element that take you from the hereafter ),,and from this concept we can clear a little bit the meaning of materialism, so for that you bey things you don't need and for that you spend your money in things you don't have to spend in, you want and you want this's a new fashion and this's a new car,new mobile,new tech, new watch,,,,and when your children comes to this life also they want, and they want and, while they growing up they see new things so they will be attracted and they want..and they want this's the game that we're talking about SATAN controlling the most important thing in the characteristics of human being..{ the material }
Twisted Evil so beware Muslims.
2_Messaoud
2_Messaoud

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_Ali Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Today, people become more and more superficial, fake, like if they feel obliged to play a role to exist. For everything they count on apperance. There is no more natural and simplicity. Youngsters idolize stars and seek money to achieve their desires through gambling and illegal buisnesses since they were inculcated "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" through Media. They find religion something that obnubilates them. More than that, they start to repeat what they've seen and read here and there to say 'we are atheist', giving themselves reasons to bypass religion and find a short cut to their affiliation with metaphysics.

2030_17_Ali

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_Sajed Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:07 am

2030_17_Hasan wrote:
2030_17_Sajed wrote: " However, the question is how we deal with it."

Sajed.. Kindly read the question is Why people become materialistic, not how we deal with it. hahaha.. Twisted Evil
Uh, that's what I was saying? This small aspect of human nature doesn't instantly turn you into a materialist. You have to let it grow and develop. Your heart needs to be attached to these material objects (btw the attachment to Allah can STILL remain stronger than this attachment) for the person to become a materialist. So yes, how we deal with our Nafs is indeed directly related to why people become materialistic.

2030_17_Sajed wrote: I think what you mean to say is that some degree of materialism is instilled into the minds of each and every human being.

I agree with this. Thanks.
You're welcome. And there should be a :jzk: emote...

2030_17_Ali wrote:Today, people become more and more superficial, fake, like if they feel obliged to play a role to exist. For everything they count on apperance. There is no more natural and simplicity. Youngsters idolize stars and seek money to achieve their desires through gambling and illegal buisnesses since they were inculcated "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" through Media. They find religion something that obnubilates them. More than that, they start to repeat what they've seen and read here and there to say 'we are atheist', giving themselves reasons to bypass religion and find a short cut to their affiliation with metaphysics.
Indeed. Instead of allowing religion to carve out their lifestyle, they choose a religion that will suit their preferred life style. The other way around. In fact, these atheists aren't truly 100% pure atheist. They certainly believe that they are, but deep down inside, they know that Allah exists. Because it is part of the fitrah of every human being to believe in Allah. But they manage to successfully conceal this part of their nature, even to themselves, so that they see nothing wrong with the way they live their life. A life without accountability.

Last edited by 2030_17_Sajed on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fail tags)

2030_17_Sajed

Back to top Go down

Post  2030_17_dieny Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:52 am

good intention, good output. afro

2030_17_dieny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next