Islamic Critical Thinking, Worldview & Ethics and Fiqh
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Islamic Family Ethics & Challenge of Modernity

4 posters

Go down

Islamic Family Ethics & Challenge of Modernity Empty Islamic Family Ethics & Challenge of Modernity

Post  2050_said Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:48 am

Lets say you are in a very important meeting full of very respected individuals of different religions. A non muslim of your opposite gender unknowingly tries to greet you by trying to give you a handshake. Not giving out your hand in that situation could mean alot of embarassement to that person AND giving out your hand to the opposite sex (who is not your mahrim) is not allowed in islam.As a muslim in that situation what would you do?

2050_said

Back to top Go down

Islamic Family Ethics & Challenge of Modernity Empty Islamic Family Ethics & Challenge of Modernity

Post  2050_ria Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:15 am

If I were in that situation, I will choose not giving out my hand for hand shaking, and at the same time I will give short, clear, and specific reason why. It does not the matter of "very important person (VIP)" that we could compromise our Islamic values to non-Muslims. I believe there is obvious reason why Allah SWT forbids Muslims not to touch others who are not our mahram, and this cannot be viewed as a burden since Allah SWT asked us to do for our own sake. Further more, if we could explain to our non-Muslims partners about our Islamic rules and values, we do da'wah to him/her. And that is Islam wants us to do. Wa'allahu alam bissawab.

2050_ria

Back to top Go down

Islamic Family Ethics & Challenge of Modernity Empty Re: Islamic Family Ethics & Challenge of Modernity

Post  ungs2050_izyani Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:19 pm

My point of view is the same as sister Ria. If I’am in that situation, I will smile and say sorry to that guy. I sure the person understand that as a muslim and yet, I’am a woman cannot give a handshake with the opposite gender. After the meeting, I will reach the person personally to further explain in order to make it clear. And to be nice, maybe I will offer to treat him a lunch. Even though Islam highly encourage muslim to nice with other, it should not across the limit that are obligated to us to follow. Smile

ungs2050_izyani

Back to top Go down

Islamic Family Ethics & Challenge of Modernity Empty Re: Islamic Family Ethics & Challenge of Modernity

Post  UNGS2050_Mahia Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:24 am

I'd like to look at the issue from two perspectives. From our (islamic) perspective it is not permitted to touch the person of the opposite gender. To compromise on one occasion in the interest of maintaining a good social relation would only be to invite further compromises and thereby compromise our faith. From the perspective of the non-muslim hand-shaker on the other hand, at that moment he/she would be chagrined and offended for us delivering what he/she pertains as an insult. Should we explain our practice on the spot in front of a sizable group we would be possibly perceived as following an archaic faith. Mollifying the person with a later treat may not be enough to make up for hurt feelings, plus is it not more intimate to have lunch together than an impersonal handshake (provided we perceive it as impersonal)? Also to be taken into account that this is an important meeting (whether it be with fellow workers or clients) where we are trying to make a good impression and maintain good relations. So to "do as the Roman's do when in Rome", or not Question This is quite the tightrope to tread on. Maybe we can diffuse the situation by pressing our business card into the proffered hand and give a friendly smile and greeting instead, and later give a private and polite explanation.

UNGS2050_Mahia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down